Wednesday 14 December 2011

Nail biter


Tuesday, December 13th, 2011

      Another day spent in the shop. At least this time, I got my truck serviced. Fear not friends, for the day was not a complete loss. I did get to deliver that load to just a bit up the road.

      I awoke today at 0545. I figured that one and quarter hours was enough to get a reasonable breakfast-like meal in, and make it in time for my 0700 appointment time. Grabbed myself an organic apple from the bag I bought, and happily crunched away. The pre-trip inspection didn't turn up much of anything, but I imagine that this is due to the fact that I wasn't looking for anything that could be wrong. It becomes a matter of course for most truckers to do a simple walk around and check to make sure that all of the lights are working. Sometimes, I'll even check to makes sure the tires are properly inflated, but that is when I feel like doing so would be a good idea. For the most part, a driver can tell when the truck is running funny, and maybe now and again get a bug up their butt to do a complete pre-trip inspection.

      Grabbing some coffee and making a new pot to replace the one I emptied (it was almost gone to begin with, I did not drink the whole thing!) I hit the road at 0615, figuring that half an hour would be plenty of time to drive the 10 miles to the consignee. Apparently I was mistaken. The traffic on WA 167 is a bit thick at that time of morning. I knew that was coming though, but it just took me by surprise at how much there was. Maybe it has to do with that “Boeing” company having a plant in Renton, on the north end of 167, but who's to say?

      I've never been to this place, so consequently, I have no idea what my turn looks like. I have a vague idea of where to go. That is a prerequisite for driving trucks, a good sense of physical direction. Mental direction, on the other hand, is certainly optional. I see a lot of people get sucked into this lifestyle for lack of other ideas. Honestly, I'm becoming a bit worried for my own sake, but I digress. Driving along 212th ave S (west bound) I start looking for 59th Place in the dark. This is par for the course, and I am exceptionally grateful for my excellent vision. Seeing signs from far enough away to turn in time is a good thing to be capable of.

      The last bit of the directions read thus: “Facility on the left, follow 'Columbia' signs to the back of the building for receiving.” Fairly typical once again. Often times, there will be a note saying something about distance, or other landmarks. “Second driveway on left after railroad tracks.” “1/2 mile down road on right.” “Directly behind burning bush, do not ask bush for directions.” Traveling down the road at a cool 15 mph, time is running short. Heavens forbid I show up even 2 minutes late!

      I, in fact, show up an entire 3 minutes early, which is still technically late, since it is ideal for them to be unloading you at your appointment time. In the end, it didn't really matter on lick. I got the impression that they would have taken me anytime before 1400. It took them all of 2 hours to unload the beer from my truck and sort out all of the PO numbers. Apparently, there were 15 of them, which is a whole lot of work or something. Beats me. I was just glad to get back and into the shop after all of that nail biting for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment