Tuesday 13 December 2011

Down, back, and into the Shack


Monday, December 12th, 2011

      Back again in Pacific, Washington. This time with a purpose. After having put off my truck service to complete the last run, I am now so far over the suggested time to have all that stuff done that there is no choice BUT to do the service. So I wait. Not impatiently, but with a kind of feeling that this is what needs to happen. I'm getting all my ducks in a row for the impending job change and my brief time in between companies. Today was quite busy in fact, I'll relate.

      So first thing this morning, there are all these blinky lights on my dashboard telling me that something is up. I already know this. I'm low on DEF again. Why the amber check engine light has to get involved in this matter is beyond me. I'd start the truck up, and the engine light would come on. There is a little amber light actually shaped like an engine, It seems to come on a lot, and I've not bothered to give it much notice because of this. I suppose I could research the light's meaning in the operator's manual, but nothing has gone wrong thus far. (knock on wood right?) The amber check engine light is also shaped like a little engine, but has the word “CHECK” written on it in all caps lock fashion. It isn't as if I see the waring light on the DEF gauge... or maybe the meter right below the warning light is down to one square that is now amber. (There are four squares on this gauge, all in a neat line. When all is well, they are green, but the last one turns to amber then red if you really drop the ball). I am well aware of my situation. You'd think drivers weren't people to check their gauges or something, geez.

      Quick resolution to that issue, then south to Seattle. I timed it well enough to avoid the thick of traffic, so, hooray for me. I suppose i could have figured out how to get there from the signs on the freeway, but I judiciously decided to follow the directions, as I've never been to this place before. the address is 4050 E. Marginal Way South. It makes sense I suppose. turns out I had to go North on East Marginal Way South, but I was on the right path. Building numbers were counting down... 4680.... 4524... 4490. Then I get to this one traffic light and stop. I figure I got 3 more blocks before I REALLY have to start looking. Passing through the light, I happen to look over to my right and check the building number.. and I'm not kidding “4360-4050”. The entire building was all of those numbers. I figured I'd drive along a bit more and that there would be an entrance. Nope. Well there was, but it was for cars and it would require a turning radius similar to a Smart-Car to get in there. But wait.. it gets better. I see that under the bridge that has sprung up to my left, in the middle of the road I was on, that there is a way to turn around. And railroad tracks. Glancing right, I see a locomotive. Lights on, but it doesn't look like it is moving, so I cross the tracks. Let me tell you how much it scared the wits out of me when I heard that horn blow. I was rather lucky in that the train was moving wicked slow, and that I had space ahead to pull up. So I watied a good 15 minutes for the train to go by.

      In the meanwhile, I call to let the warehouse I just passed know that I am essentially there, just waiting for the train to go by so I can turn around. No answer. I leave a voice-mail. So i get out to see where the heck the train ends, because a bridge support pillar obstructs my view. Cool, it is almost done. Heading back to the traffic light, I get a call from the warehouse. Turns out that they aren't even receiving loads today. Or tomorrow it seems. Must be swamped with old cardboard. So back to the terminal for me. Time to put the truck in the shop, scan all of my paperwork, thank the payroll ladies for saving my butt last week, fill up on DEF, replace the stolen tire chain, fix the broken one, get my filthy truck washed, walk to the library (1.5 miles) to copy my driver's license to send to the next company, walk another ½ mile to fax it to them, then back to the terminal to do almost ALL of my laundry (it's been a while), shower and finally relax and practice the banjo. All of which, I've done. Now I've just got to deliver a load tomorrow morning.

      The load is only going to Kent, a stone's throw away, but it WAS followed with a load to Edmonton, which was based on the idea that I was going to be out of the shop tonight. Since that is not going to happen, I'll pull the short load, then get back in line for my truck to be serviced. Ah well. All the bitching in the world isn't going to fix things, so I let go and accept my situation. And some sleep. I'm beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment