Thursday 8 December 2011

A love Affiar


Monday, December 5th, 2011

      I fell in love today. It was a tumultuous affair, but profound and passionate to the core. I certainly wasn't looking for it, nor was I expecting to find it. This was one of those events that strikes you like a bolt, then fades away almost as quickly. I like to think that both parties were moved by the experience, but perhaps I'm being presumptuous.

      Before it all began, I blundered about in the darkness. Nothing moved me. There was no love in my soul; I was an empty shell of a man going through life's motions. Almost without my noticing it, she appeared. A stunning beauty, with a wintry complexion. Raven hair flowing down onto her shoulders; her skin fair, soft and delicate. Eyes the steely blue color of snow in predawn light. I was rapt. Words only dribbled out of my mouth, completely and utterly failing to capture the depth of feeling. She smiled with cool eyes, and reached out for me.

      As time progressed, we got to know each other in greater detail. She doffed a broad brimmed hat, sky blue with a medium grey band. Her soft, yielding curves became more evident as our intimacy increased. I wondered how I could be so lucky to enjoy such a pleasure as this, in the company of such great beauty. We spent the next few hours together, exploring each others' soul, and I her feminine landscape. For those hours, the world was filled with indescribable beauty. But that beauty came with a price.

      Raised by cattle ranchers, she was of a different breed. For all of the sinuous curves, she was hard as granite. I reached out to touch her, but she would not smile. I could see the ice in her veins. Frost grew on everything she touched. Men had broken themselves against her trying to tame her. You had to as hard as she was to survive. She was not a forgiving mistress.

      I am not that hard person. I am soft and yielding like the sands of a beach. Being a rock is not what I've experienced thus far in my life. I needed flexibility, and change. She offered neither. As our time together lengthened, the differences became more apparent. Her temperament was of dizzying highs and the darkest of lows; no sun would reach that valley floor. The ups and down became more frequent as my road with her unraveled to its end. She wanted to keep me, but I had other places to go to. The path became more difficult; I had to pick my way through the terrain very carefully, with great caution, for fear of losing my life.

      The end was the hardest part. Climbing out of the valley, I pulled myself up the last hill of our experience. She would forever remain as she was, yet that enchanting beauty kept pulling me back. I fought with every modicum of power at my disposal. Inertia and gravity retaliated, it was so hard to leave. Progress was slow at best. One bit at a time, I plodded up the hill. I was at the bridge on top of the hill. It looked like a down hill run from there, then I saw a sign. It read, “Welcome to Idaho.”

No comments:

Post a Comment