Thursday 8 March 2012


Wednesday, March 7th, 2012

      Living in darkness, I steal the souls of other men. I move from one city to another, bringing destruction in the guise of gifts, poison in the guise of food. Paper, in giant rolls or bales. For a minute there, I was starting to sound like a vampire or assassin. Nothing so exciting. Still driving trucks for a living. Maybe stealing souls is a bit of a stretch, but I think a bunch of entertainment devices that can spirit a person away into another dimension of reality without their *really* knowing it might count.

      At first I thought I was going to the Detroit area, then off to Pennsylvania, near Harrisburg (and my old college!). Turns out that wasn't going to happen. Seems like they did not want me driving another 300 or so miles empty after the 500 to get me to Illinois. Crazy, huh? Having gotten up around 0730, and having some coffee for the next run, I fixed the situation with my transponder that pays my tolls for me. I was reading the next plan, getting ready to accept it, when it was removed from me. I was literally writing down the information and was all of 2 minutes away form sending the committed macro, when they took it off. Doh!

      In the mean time, my DM called to tell me that he needs to get me back to Sumner for the local thing, which may not be so good after all. I've not heard much detail about it to begin with, and I seem woefully unprepared to accept the job. Living out of my truck is wonderful and all, but a local job would preclude that and necessitate and physical residence. While I can stay with Jen in Redmond, that is a serious commute each day, and therefore, unlikely. Not much point in being home everyday if you spend 3 or so hours of that time commuting.

      While deliberating on questionable apartments in the South Sound area, I get another preplan. Romeoville to Tifton, GA, hauling idiot boxes. (or idiot panels as the case may be these days) The thing about it is, they are giving me 36 hours to deliver a trip that takes 16 hours. Translation: you can do it, but you have to drive overnight instead of sleeping twice. Taking 2 10 hour breaks, as mandated by law, would be cutting it WAY too close, impossible if you factor in fuel stops, pre-trips and general breaks for the biological aspects of life. So I've slept all day today and I am catching up now.

      For those who know me, I'm a fairly nice guy. Not all the time though, and I think yesterday in Chicagoland kinda pushed me over the edge a bit. I want to say this to all Chicago drivers: “F*ck you you fat, ignorant, inconsiderate f*cks. There is a reason that every cross street has a sign saying DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION, and it is because dicks like you have no concept of consideration for other dirvers. Take your pizza eating asses to a manners course (I know I'm setting a great example here) and start realizing that other people are important too. You pompous asses.” That is all. Now point me to the nearest pizza place.




No comments:

Post a Comment