Friday 2 March 2012

Escape Velocity


February 29th, 2012

      At last! I have escaped Washington state's gravity well and have traveled to someplace else! What was beginning to look like another day in Spokane turned out to be a good long trip after all. How long, I am not certain yet, but at least I am heading someplace else for the time being. Lots of time to ponder on the open roads, Especially tomorrow since I'll be taking a few state routes on my way to Rapid City, SD.

      At this moment, I am parked at a rest stop outside of a town called Anaconda, Montana. To the best of my knowledge, there are no large snakes living here, certainly not of the tropical persuasion. I am also fairly confident that the movie of the same name was shot somewhere else, despite having never seen it. From what I gather, this is one of those little towns that was a mining town so long ago, but is now becoming more attractive to affluent types who enjoy outdoor activities and art of sorts. I think “Art in the Park,” speaks volumes. It is also really freakin' cold out here tonight, so I'll pass.

      The one thing that did grab my attention in this rest stop (okay, one of two things) was this dull whumping sound. It remained rhythmic, but changed pitch when the wind gusted. In the dark, on the edge of sight it seems that there is a wind turbine powering this amazingly modern installation and all of the security cameras that are installed here. The cameras, being the other thing that grabbed my attention, are mounted both outside and inside, to discourage wrong doing I suppose. Putting Big Brother behind me, I am glad to be so near a small wind turbine, as it gives me plenty to think about for powering any future domiciles or other structures I may wish to inhabit or use.

      Earlier, I awoke to a preplan already on me. Sweet! 1500 some odd miles sounds great. Delivers in a week? Not so great, but I figured i could t-call it some place. Then I saw the attached note: “T-call in rail yard.” They did not say which one, so I asked about it after already saying I would take the load. A message comes back, I am taking it 5 blocks from the shipper in Spokane to the rail yard, also in Spokane. Hah! I would be alright with local work, but they certainly aren't paying me by the hour. After some phone wrangling and essentially asking “wtf?” the office may or may not have it straightened out. Some of them are of the impression that I am going to take it to the Edwardsville terminal and drop it there. Others thought I was still taking it to the rail yard, but then figured that I would be taking the load all the way to the final, next week.

      For my part, I'm convinced that I'm going to Edwardsville, KS. Maybe I'm supposed to take it to the final, maybe not. I will certainly ask them tomorrow to make up my mind for me. Either way, it gets me rolling and puts some money in my pocket, which is the thrust of the whole “job” thing.

      I've also decided that I really appreciate the scenery here in Montana a lot. I wrote about this some time ago when I worked for Gordon. This time around, it is still just as beautiful, but I am somewhat less moved by it. Still, I can see why people really enjoy being here. I'm sure I'll have plenty of it to see tomorrow, with about 400 some odd miles left of my journey here to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment