Friday 3 February 2012

A lonely gratitude


Friday, February 3rd, 2012

      Well, this snuck up on me. Today has been a rather short and leisurely day, so I put off my writing until just now, and now is late. Funny how we don;t realize how quickly time passes when we aren't paying attention to it. Ah well. I'm still going to write (obviously) but after yesterday, I find it hard to think of something so eventful today.

      Today I drove from Little America, WY to Idaho Falls, Idaho. I know, saw that one coming, right? I started off in a light snow, which gently covered the road ways. Hitting US 30 West, the snow was dry and cold, covering my side of the road like a thin lace tablecloth. The other side was certainly more heavily traveled. For the entire distance of US 30 in Wyoming, only one car got stuck behind me, and no trucks. I'm certainly not used to that. This was a fairly lonely road. Unless you were gogin east bound. Plenty of people to wave to in that direction.

      You see, people who drive trucks lead a kind of lonely existence by necessity of choice. While it is true that there are all sorts of other jobs out there, a lot of drivers do not fit into the general mold of society. For some, it may be due to the dread of a nine to five job. Others may just have the “traveling bone,” as often mentioned in many CCR songs. Still others are just plain anti-social. Then there are those who think hygiene is optional. I wish I was kidding. For me, I find it a useful occupation that is always hiring and that I can leave at will and return at my pleasure (or need for money).

      That said, it is still a lonely life. I could hang out and talk with the other drivers, but quite frankly, none are on the same page as me. It is hard enough to find a liberal truck driver, let alone one who thinks loftier philosophical thoughts (or metaphysical, I'm not too picky) any higher than “Jesus is the only way, because this book tells me so.” I'm just not into that.

      If you ever get a chance to eat at a truck stop diner, you'll notice that there are “trucker only” sections in some of them. I'm thinking Petros' in particular. This is so that the drivers get served and on their way quickly, but it also makes them feel special. The server of that section will always be a woman, almost without fail. In these little spaces, drivers banter back and forth about whatever bullshit is going on that day, be it some freaky loads, or the weather. But watch more closely. The servers will actually touch the drivers. Nothing inappropriate, just the accepted, non-sexual harassment same side-of-the-body shoulder touch, accompanied by a smile. I'd be willing to wager that those waitresses do better on their tips than the rest do.

      Human contact is a wonderful and cherished thing, that I feel is easily taken for granted until you have it taken away. But then, isn't that what taking something for granted is? It's always there until it isn't and we never realize how important is is to us as humans. Even a smile is a welcome aspect of life that people out on the road see with alarming infrequency. That is why I try to smile often. A lot of people out here are, frankly, miserable. To be fair, that is their own doing, but if a simple smile helps make their world a better place (it does for me!) then why hold that back? Better yet, simply appreciate what you have of you have someone nearby, in your life physically every day. If you don't then appreciate that you have a place where you can go and see the same people with regularity. that would be a comfort out here, let me tell you. Just seeing the guy I met in the Denver terminal the day before yesterday was a welcome surprise. The odds of him being at this truck stop are alarmingly small, but I could tell he was thrilled to see me.

      I get along fine with myself, so the loneliness is not as oppressive as it could be. For some, it is everything to share a smile, a laugh, a story, whatever. Companionship is a wonderful gift. Please enjoy it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment