Wednesday 1 February 2012

A Day at Denver Terminal


Wednesday, February 1st, 2012


      Sometimes I've found life to be rather insistent. Other times, it is less so. We can fight against the flow of events, in a vain yet entirely human effort to force our wills upon the Universe. Then we get laughed at. However, when life is in one of those pliable and flexible stages, it becomes easier to force our wills upon the world. Today was not that day.

       For the most part, I've been in the Denver terminal all day. Well, not in the terminal precisely, maybe “at” would be the proper preposition. I woke up early today, in hope of getting my starter replaced and on my way to home in Sumner, WA. To be honest, it isn't home there. I am essentially homeless, and I'm alright with that for now. While I am able to use a couple of different addresses to get mail and suchlike, those places aren't home either. Regardless of this objective situation, it was my intention to get back there before too late on Friday.

      Having awoken at 0600, I promptly went back to sleep and dreamt about something I did not remember to write down, and hey, when did “dream” become a regular verb? It seems that “dreamed” is correct now. Oh ever evolving language. Then I got up and had a bite to eat, since the breakfast truck had come. Good stuff! I played some banjo and went right back to sleep until about noon. Still no knock on the truck. You see, when somebody wants to talk to a truck driver they think is in the truck, they bang on the side of the cab, usually scaring the shit out of anybody who may or may not be sleeping. Nothing wakes you up like adrenaline.

      Thankfully, that was not the case, and I was able to simply wake up, no chemicals racing through my blood stream. At this point, I figured that I would most likely not make it back in time, but that didn't sit too well. So I played some banjo and got over it. I sat inside the terminal, waiting for the construction crew up the road to go away so I could go for a walk, without having to take a pesky detour. Not that I couldn't use the extra mileage on my feet. I just don't care for the view along the road.

      I did, however, manage to forget that there is a commercial bakery not too far from here, and the wind was just right today. The terminal was awash in the smell of buttery bread, whether it is artificial butter or not is beside the point, although I have my suspicions. That may have honestly been the most exciting part about the day that wasn't Chinese food dinner. They make an amazing vegetarian Vietnamese spring roll there and the dipping sauce is amazing. In the end not much of a day. I'm here in the terminal now, writing this with headphones on. I'm sure that they are telling stories the next table over, and I caught an earful of one about some attractive woman doing naked exercising in front of a window somewhere. Stuff of urban legends I'm sure.

      I figure it is about bed time. I've set my PTA for 0400 MST, in hopes of getting out of here before the storm comes my way. I hope to get a good bit of asphalt between me and this storm, hopefully going south, now that I've reset my scheduled home time. A couple more weeks away just means more money in the end. Make the most of it!

1 comment: