Monday 30 January 2012

Holy Crap that was close!


Monday, January 30th, 2012

      Well. Some days are certainly more action packed than others. If each day were a book, today would be more of a graphic novel. Not quite like Batman, 'cause that is too dark. Maybe more like Aquaman. Some exciting bits, but pretty lame for the most part. OK, maybe that isn't entirely true. It seemed to go by rather quickly, which is always a good sign.

      Starting the day off was a fairly simple trailer drop. Not much to report there, except that the guy helping the drivers looked at me, than asked me in Spanish what the word for “straight” was (as in parallel), as if I knew a whole bunch of Spanish. I know I have a sweet mustachio now, but I don;t think I look Spanish. If I so, then great! It should help me learn the language more easily right?

      I could go on about being at the Laredo Terminal, how the planner came out to the lounge and addressed all of the drivers in regards to the loads he had. I go spout off about how he had a few loads going west, but to Wyoming and Colorado. Were I to continue, I would say that I got the first load out that day, and was surprised at how few people wanted to go north west. What is wrong with Wyoming anyway? But I won't.

      Driving north on I-35, I got a very vivid reminder of how dangerous this job can be. A light rain was falling, much to the enjoyment of the local flora. You could smell the dust getting waterlogged. Hell, you could even see it in the road mist that sprayed onto you windshield. Light brown rainwater, swishing away with each pass of the wipers. Up ahead and to the left, a big dust cloud erupted from the median. “What the hell?” I slowed down, just in case. Fortunately, I was far enough away to slow down in time, for a truck had crossed into the median, got hung up on the steel cables, then jack-knifed across the freeway. Both the left and right lanes were blocked, but I squeezed around on the right shoulder. The truck blocking traffic was the second truck in front of me. The truck that was in front of me pulled right over, with just enough room to let others pass. I stopped ahead of him. The first driver ran to the crashed truck, then back for his fire extinguisher. I rushed over calling 911. Fortunately, the driver of the crashed truck was alright. His truck, on the other hand, was a different story.

      The trailer had come around at a pretty good speed. It startled me how fast it snapped around. Approaching to make sure that the driver was alright, I could see the destruction caused. The cab was ripped right off the frame, thankfully in one piece. The fuel tanks lay on the ground, still holding together. Fluid and steam leaked from the engine compartment, now completely separated from the chassis. I checked to see what the leaking fluid was, and it wasn't diesel fuel. Probably DEF (thank goodness) which is merely urea suspended in a solution. The driver climbed out of his truck on the passenger side. the driver’s side door was probably smashed in. He grabbed his two blue packs of Pall Malls, looking to make sense of the whole thing. I could feel the sadness and pain radiating off of him, and I wanted to give him a hug and tell him things would be alright. He may lose his job, but he still has his life. With trembling hands, he dialed his phone, presumably calling his company.

      I left the first driver ahead of me in charge. He said that he would be there until the EMS comes, so I saw no reason to hang around. I care, but I've got to get home.  Just after the accident site is the inspection station, where they check for drugs and illegal immigrants.  Dude jumps up on to my running boards and asks, "what's back there, (pointing to my sleeper)."  A bit confused, I reply, "umm, teddy bears, a banjo and some blankets."  He kinda smiles, "you didn't pick anyone up on you way out of Lardeo did you?" "Oh god, no!"  He smiles and waves me by.

      I made some good time after that, heading through San Antonio. There are signs posted around Texas at large saying, “Drive friendly, the Texas way.” Now I'm not sure how people interpret that, but in San Antonio, I believe they take it as “drive like a self important douche and cut people off. Letting people merge is for pussies, so be manly and stay the course. It is better to cut off a big truck than to slow down for a moment, you should survive that one.” I am seriously beginning to think that L.A. drivers are pretty damned cool, even the ones who exit from the far left lane in one swoop.

      The rest of the ride, however, was much smoother, and more peaceful. Heading through the hill country, there is all sorts of geology to entertain you, with a few aspiring badlands carved out of the rock cuts for the freeway. There is plenty of sandstone and limestone, and maybe some whitish shale too, which makes for some cool geological sculptures. Little caves hollowed out by the winds, under a little shale shelf. Hoodoos and goblins as well.

      Surprisingly, I saw a lot of goats out here. (I always thought of Texas as Cattle country) They were grazing the heck out the meager grass and looking cute with their floppy ears. Scrubby oak trees dotted the landscape, along with heretofore unidentified tress (at least by myself). I was surprised at how many of these trees had parasites. It is some kind of mistletoe to be sure, and I saw some trees engulfed by it. It makes me sad for those trees, and curious as to why there is such an epidemic.

     At the end of the day, I got some fresh veggies to nosh on, and a good story to tell. I've certainly been grateful for my safe arrival and for plenty of open roads. Today has been a good day, and tomorrow will be as well, I'm sure.




No comments:

Post a Comment