Wednesday 11 January 2012

Here I go, again on my own, probably down some roads I already know.

     After a longish hiatus, I am behind the wheel once again.  Well, not at the moment, as that would be somewhat life threatening.  Technicalities aside, I am again employed to haul truck loads of shit across the country to random destinations.  By shit I mean whatever they tell me to haul, which is not likely to include 'shit' proper because that is HazMat class 8 (Biohazard)

      Right now, I am sitting in the Swift terminal in Sumner, WA getting back into the feel of trucking.  Funny that it takes a scant 3 weeks for the lifestyle to dissipate.  I could reflect upon that as a tribute to my flexibility in life and situations.  Alternatively, I can choose to see it as a fairly clear sign that I'm ready for a new lifestyle.  Even better, I could fuse the two points of view and find something perhaps closer to the truth.

      I've yet to get my truck in any kind of livable shape.  Today started fairly early to take public transit all the way from Burlington, WA to Sumner via Tacoma.  There are always a ton of little details to get in order before getting out on the road at a new company.  Setting up direct deposit, enrolling in benefits, taking whatever silly training courses I remember them asking me to take, forgetting what the other two are or where to find them in the byzantine depth of the terminal drivers' kiosks; all sorts of little things.  My truck is a somewhat older International.  When I say older, I mean in the ballpark of 403k miles.  Odds are, if I kept going with this truck for an extended period, say the rest of the year, I would end up getting a new one with maybe 56 miles on it.  I've had one that young before.  Still smells like plasticizers.

      Anyway, the truck should be running just fine, as by now they've gotten all of the kinks out of the system.  I would say that this is my first International, but that would not be entirely correct.  I drove an older one back in 2006 for a flatbed company.  Granted, I only stayed there for 3 days but I still count the experience, if only because Swift does.  That truck in 2006 had a whopping 725,000 miles on it.  It was an International Eagle.  For those who have no idea what I am talking about (probably everyone) I'll give  a brief exposition.

      The International Eagle is a boxy affair with little eye for design.  The interior is roomy but it does not have a second bunk.  Once inside, you can get some fresh air by sliding the tiny little rectangular windows at the top of the cab.  The side walls are endowed with little flaps that can be thrust open to stream air in or out of the bunk, or even across if you are clever with your mashing.  If you are ever on the road, you may hear of these Eagles being referred to as, "the mobile home of trucks," and not in a good way.

     The truck I am in is a bit better designed, but storage space is at a premium.  It lacks the ubiquitous towers found in Volvos and Freightliners.  Fortunately, it is graced with a second bunk upon which I can sorts all sorts of crap.  The styling, however is sleeker and a bit more ergonomic.  Additionally, it is even quieter than anything I have ever driven.  To be fair, I've not yet been under a load going up a hill with this vehicle.  My only experience with this truck to date has been to drive it around the yard checking the gears, brakes and lights.  To report, the transmission is low and loose, the cltuch rides somewhere in the middle with a middling pressure, the brakes are high and soft (but effective) and the fuel pedal is responsive enough (so far).  That said, I'm glad to have a truck for now.

       We'll see how long that lasts.  For now I am beat and I've got to make the bed still.  Maybe even start organizing things.






3 comments:

  1. I hope your first load is a pleasant one to deliver! I am thinking of you and looking forward to what's next. xo Be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you put up some pics of the interior? I've always wondered what they looked like from the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll see what I can do. Right now I'm limited to cell phone pics, as I left my webcam at home and use my camera so seldom that I lent it out on a semi-permanent basis. Give me a bit :)

    ReplyDelete