Tuesday 17 January 2012

A Hobbit's Holiday


Tuesday, January 17th, 2012

      Irony is defined as “an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.” Technically, that is the 5th and final definition given, so maybe I shouldn't put much stock into it. Perhaps irony is simply a matter of an improper initial belief. Or maybe some naivety on the supposer's part. So yes, I was dead-headed out of L.A. metro yesterday. It would seem that I am going back there tonight. Words almost fail me. If they did, there would be no blog.

      What can I say really? Today has been a fairly short day retracing the steps I took yesterday. I asked the planners to send me somewhere else next time, since it feels a bit self defeating to keep running back and forth into L.A. I could have signed up for a southwest regional run if that is what I wanted. Granted, the weather here is sunny and dry, so no complaints. It is even kinda chilly up here in Hesperia, CA. High desert indeed.

      The best part about the run so far is that I am hauling empty beer cans to be filled in the city of Commerce, CA. Empty beer can rule as far as loads go. The whole trailer is filled with the dern things, but all 215,000 of them together weigh in at 7530 pounds. So I'm zooming up hills, which is a great change of pace. I'm not holding my breath for this streak to continue by any means, but I'll take what I can get.

      The city of Commerce is an interesting place. So interesting, that it got a story done about it on NPR a while back. Something involving corruption. The city proper has so few people in it that all of that property tax revenue gets put into outlandish salaries for executives and council people. At least, that is what the story posited. I personally have no proof. The landscape itself looks like something out of a dystopian future movie like Robocop, or some other industrial movie that I am failing to recall.

      Even better, my delivery is scheduled for 0100 local time. This means no traffic! Well, some traffic, since I'll be out there. I'm sure others will be around as well since this is a ginormous metro area, but nothing like yesterday morning. I swear that driving down here makes you a harder person. One's head has to be on a swivel, but one of those swivels with a divot in it so you end up looking at one particular place, like ahead of you for some people doing something unsafe. If I haven't said it before, I'll say it here. Were I condemned to live in this part of the country, I would make it a point to live and work close to the Metro system. Maybe that's just in Pasadena, I don't know.

      That all said and done, I'm going to try to get some sleep this afternoon to wake up by 2200. I intend to leave Hesperia at 2300 with the intent of arriving at 0030 tomorrow morning, or half an hour early. At least, that's the plan. Here's to having a wacky sleep cycle! 


No comments:

Post a Comment