Sunday 15 July 2012

Sittin'

Sunday, July 15th, 2012

 

        This whole night driving things has me a bit out of sorts.  For example, today is part of my 34 hour reset.  Normally what would happen is that I stop one evening, take the entire next day off , then roll out the morning following that full day off.  Not so this time.  I've taken the whole night off last night, and I will be going back to sleep shortly.  I slept for a few hours earlier, just out of sheer exhaustion, trying to stay awake and keep the momentum for night driving going.  It somehow feels wrong to need to go back to sleep in a couple of hours, as I've only just woken up.

     I want to promise myself that I'll get on a normal schedule again, and have a job where I live someplace, but can travel, either on weekends or not.  Ha.  It has been said that always wanting to quit is part of being a driver.  I still refuse to paint myself as a driver though.  It seems so limiting.  It is, far and away, the most portable skill I have, capable of generating a modest but sufficient income.  I do not think I'll ever drop my CDL, but at the same time, I may end up looking for other options again.  Maybe it's just the tired talking.  Have you ever tried to live on a permanent sleep deficit?  I swear this is why most truckers are so low energy.  

      Since not much of note has happened today, I'm keeping this brief.  I stayed up late, slept some, ate some breakfast.  That's about it.  Just trying to wrap my head around leaving tonight still.

No comments:

Post a Comment