Saturday 21 July 2012

Being the change


Wednesday, July 18th, 2012

      The built in thermometer reads 107. This is in part due to the asphalt. It is also attributable to the idling of my truck and the trucks next to me. I had no idea it was so hot outside, like walking into a shimmering wall of heat. Inside it is cool and shady. I may have become addicted to the air conditioning. Winter may be the only cure. Then something hits my truck. A small something. Then again. Then frequently. Followed by a large boom. I see that is has started raining and there's lightning outside as well. Walking to the fuel island, I let the intermittent drops assault my personal dryness. I watch as spattered droplets vanish from the blistering pavement, taking a bit of the heat away in the process. It has been hot for days. Hovering around triple digits, with scant relief at night. I'm told that there is a drought all over the country, here too. Getting some coffee and water for the day's ride, I walk into the frigidness of the fuel island C-store, chills covering my skin in little pellets.

      Walking back to my truck I see that the rain has passed, the front having blown through like a cop after a donut thief. The beauty is marvelous, the temperature reduced to a more comfortable 74. The spent rain, now sits atop the blacktop, yearning to replenish the soil, but foiled by impervious surfaces. There are rainbows, but not in the sky. Oozing along the ground haphazardly, streaming eventually toward a storm drain somewhere, to be forgotten by most. Still, the reflective iridescence looks merry after the sudden fury of the storm. It is as if the former trees are sending a wish for joy into the future. Transmuted by time and pressure, then again by man and his machinations, these former herbaceous beings once more express their joy in the rain.

      I've been inspired today. The very notion that each and everyone of our actions shapes society is so wonderful and at once terrible to comprehend. The move towards consciously creating that is at once a small and enormous task. It takes self awareness and inspiration. With that in mind, I've had an interesting day, and everything seems to have been going my way. A large percentage of lights have been green, which is always a good sign. I've run into some interesting characters along the way, through no effort of my own.

      For the first time since I can remember, I've got another driver on the same run as me. Funny how we were both at the shipper at the same time. Not really. It is merely an example of synchronicity. I prefer to run alone in a lot of ways, but I'm sure that there is a lesson in here for me someplace. The guy is upbeat and a bit coarse, which is interesting.

      While getting fuel at a Pilot, I pulled into the island next to an older gentleman, with whom I had a lovely chat. We spoke of how wonderful it is to be a good person, and the idea of paying goodness forward to whomever. He was only working to help pay for his daughters' houses. Two of them. His reasoning? Seems that his parents did the same for him. That is such a beautiful concept, especially when done out of love instead of obligation. He was telling me that he considered a job at Swift, if only to get to Phoenix to visit his daughter. I didn't have the heart to say that if you park at the terminal there for more than a day, the shareholders want you to clean out your truck and put somebody else in it. We spoke of cooking, and how wonderful it is, and how much I miss it.

      What a day! For now I''m going to sleep at the Martinsburg, WV terminal. The only place with parking this time of night along I-81. It is amazing how busy this corridor is these days. Truck stops jam packed, exit ramps loaded up, rest areas overflowing, even the Adult Shop has a full lot. Thank whatever divinity you enjoy for this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment