Thursday 12 July 2012

Eastbound and Down

Thursday, July 12th, 2012

 

      Hooray!  I'm leaving the I-5 corridor for greener pastures!  I somehow managed to score and awesome load from just east of Seattle to just east of Harrisburg, PA.  Sure, I'm hauling a heavy load of fizzy sugar water, but why let morals get in the way of making a good buck?

     Another early day today, and an early departure tonight.  Seems a bit nicer to roll out at 11 pm instead of watching the sun set then watching it rise again.  It has certainly been a long day, much of it filled with anxiety about this long load.  At one point, I recall looking down to discover that it was only 10:00, and feeling surprised.  Between the anxiety and trying to observe my thoughts and emotions, time has simply slipped away today.

      During one particular moment, I happened to look out my window and at this massive granite escarpment, just before Snoqualmie Pass.  In that tiny glance, the detail was so pronounced that i could see the crags, each racing to carve deeper into the face of this monolithic beast.  Douglas Firs sprouted all along the gentle slopes of the mountain side, seemingly unaware or indifferent to their precarious perch.  

      There is quite a lot of beauty in the natural world, and I will certainly elaborate more when I have the liberty of free time.  For now, I'm on a fairly tight schedule with a 34 hour break coming up in Fargo, ND.  I guess it doesn't have to be Fargo per se, but that is the plan at the moment.  To the best of my knowledge the Petro there is close to shopping but not nature.  I could stay in Billings along the way, but I've got time to run still.  May as well use it until it becomes inconvenient to do so.

    That said, I've got to get up and working in 7 hours from now, and the night shift is a bit tricky on a lack of sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment