Thursday 3 November 2011

Welcome to Behind the Wheel

     So.  Here it is at last. The interwebs.  A place where all of us can be important, even if we are not.  Our opinions are important, but only to ourselves and people wishing to sell us things.  So that's my cynical soapbox, and I'll get off of it now.

     On the birght side, this tool allows us to share with the entire world, and effectively compile human knowledge into a somewhat usable and searchable form.  A virtual Library of Alexandria... but one that won't be torched by invading armies.  (unless of course some aliens come and blast the planet with an EMP, disabling all electronics.  But I digress.) 

     In the following pages, you will find myriad stories about trucking and the experience thereof, told from my point of view.  I figure a truck driver would do well to tell the stories about driving, and I'll let you know when I find a truck driver.  I just happen to do it now and then when I've not considered other options for making money.

     Some stories will entertain, others will make no sense.  There will be stories that involve a certain degree of philosophy and humanity, since this is, after all, my own personal filter.  Be forewarned, I may tend to write like I speak; this will read like something from the German Romantic period which involves lots of flowing sentences that will sometimes take an entire paragraph, often without any kind of punctuation to help you along the way.  I'm sure my editors will love this.

      Along with the above warning, there is another danger: the lifestyle itself.  Laws, regulations and sometimes plain old fatigue will have me stop in a usually unknown place for the night.  I am never guaranteed internet access, so posts will be as frequent as connectivity allows.  I will, however, write everyday of my own accord.  One can expect to see a period of no posts, then a slew of posts from the preceding days.  This idea is experimental for now, and I may simply write the entries, then post them one per each day of internet access.  Mostly to not overload people who's schedules are already full (everyone).

      All of this being said, enjoy!  Feel free to leave comments, criticisms (constructive please) suggestions, stories and good will to all beings.  I'd advise doing the last one just because.  It feels nice :)

     Along the same vein of feeling nice, I can also recommend Jen's blog about her time in the truck at a different company.  Her blog can be found here : http://truckerculture.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment